Friday, November 18, 2011

kale chips.

My friend Helen recently showed me how to make kale chips.  I'd never cooked with kale before and had no idea what to expect. The first batch was gone within minutes and I'm now totally addicted... I've made them three times this week already!  They remind me a bit of the crispy spinach you find sometimes at Thai restaurants, but healthier.  This version offers a combination of salty and sweet that is completely irresistible!

You'll need:
- 1 large bunch of kale 
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup (optional)



Preheat oven to 350 F.  Tear the kale into small pieces (use only the leafy part and not the stalk).  Wash the pieces in a salad spinner and dry well.


Transfer the kale to a large bowl and add olive oil and maple syrup. Rub olive oil into the leaves, making sure to cover the ends well.


Spread kale onto a baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes.  Check on it often, since it burns very easily.  When done, it should be crispy and may turn slightly brown at the edges.  Transfer to a bowl, salt lightly, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment