Saturday, April 21, 2012

ikea rug makeover.

                         www.urbanoutfitters.com/p-20659470-050.shtml


I'd been admiring this grey chevron rug from Urban Outfitters for months, but it was always out of stock on their web-site (never mind the fact that I can only access their site from outside of Québec due to silly french language laws!).  When it was finally available, I found out that they don't deliver large items to Canada...boo!  So, I decided that since the UO rug wasn't meant to be, I would make one myself.


Supplies:
- Ikea NÄSTVED rug in 'natural' (or any other flatwoven cotton rug)
- Interior latex paint (I used CIL Velvet Flat)
- Fabric medium
- Painter's tape
- Smooth paint roller
- Paint tray 
- Plastic drop sheet
- Ruler
- Cardboard or poster board for template (optional)



Mix 1 part paint and 1 part fabric medium in a paint tray (Note: the fabric medium will cause the paint to lighten, so you might want to go a shade darker with the paint).

Tape a zig-zag pattern onto the rug, keeping in mind which spaces will be filled in with paint and which will be left white (it can get a bit confusing!).  Use a ruler to press tape down well.


Apply paint to taped off sections, making sure to press fairly hard.


Let paint dry for 24 hours before removing tape.  (Peeling the tape off took FOREVER because I pressed it down a little too well!)

 





I'm really happy with the finished result...and Amino approved too!

I was on such a roll that I decided to give this other really cheap ikea rug a makeover too.  For this one I just taped off the design and used acrylic paint. It took less than 20 minutes and made a huge improvement!




No comments:

Post a Comment